Selecting wines for your wedding is exciting and fun. A wedding is the most sacred event in a couple’s life and it’s important that you settle for nothing but the best, after all you will be toasting your marital success and longevity. So what better way to celebrate your big day than serving up superior wine to your family and friends?
We have discounts available for multiple case orders for Weddings and celebrations. If you’d like to get in touch to discuss your requirements and the benefits we can offer please contact Nick on 0800 5766958. Alternatively you can complete the form on this page and Nick will get back to you to discuss your requirements. We also have a comprehensive Wedding Wine Guide packed with useful tips to help you below our Form!
Wedding Wine Guide
Don’t let the decision on your choice of wedding wine become a worry; we are pioneers of some of the best wines in the world, so take our word for it when we tell you that wine choosing can be fabulously fun and enjoyable. You can throw a wine testing party, invite the bridesmaids and groomsmen and serve up a few samples of our very best wines and allow them to taste away. At Bordeaux Undiscovered the choices of wedding wine are extensive and delicious, allowing you to select a truly pleasurable combination of cases that will enhance the celebrations of your big day. Let us take care of the delivery – free, punctual and safe – and for valuable recommendations and expert advice, please do not hesitate to contact us. It would be our absolute pleasure to assist you and ensure that the drinks served at your wedding will be nothing short of perfection.
Below are samples of a typical Wine List with a range of options and a typical Wedding Breakfast. It is based on 75 guests (10% non drinkers), 2 glasses of Sparkling Wine (1 glass on arrival and 1 glass with the speeches) and guests being 50/50 Red and White Wine drinkers (allowing 2 glasses per person). We have also included our Wedding Wine Guide to help you prepare for the big day!
Taste Before You Buy
It’s a good idea to taste before you buy so that you can choose the cream of the crop. I suggest gathering a few close friends and family together with the future bride and groom for a tasting before you order. Most wine merchants are happy to arrange a pre-order selection of wines based on your preferences – give me a ring and I will happily arrange it for you.
Which wines you finally choose is down to your particular tastes but bear in mind that it’s customary to have the following:
The Grand Entrance / Receiving Line
- Guests are usually welcomed into the Wedding Reception with a glass of Champagne or Sparkling Wine which they sip with their canapés.
The Wedding Breakfast / Menu
- Whether your Wedding Breakfast is a buffet or a three course dinner it’s best to serve both red and white wine. If you send me a copy of your menu I will be able to make suggestions for the best food and wine pairings but generally the more delicate flavoured foods (soups, fish or poultry) pair best with White Wine and the richer flavoured (beef, lamb or game) pair best with Red.
- Rosé and Clairet Wines pair exceptionally well with cold meats and warm salads.
- A Sparkling Wine or Sweet White Wine pairs well with Desserts and Wedding Cake (Sauternes is highly recommended). Red Wine is usually paired with hard strong cheese (Cheddar, Double Gloucester or Gouda) and Sweet White Wine with tangy blue-veined cheese (Stilton, Gorgonzola or Roquefort)
- The Toast is traditionally made with Champagne but a good Sparkling Wine such as a Cremant d’Alsace can offer superb quality and excellent value.
How Much Wedding Wine Do We Need?
I can calculate how much Wedding Wine you will need but as a general rule, allow half a bottle per person then add a margin for safety.
- A standard sized bottle of wine (75cl) will pour 6 wine glasses (125ml). So one case of wine (12 bottles) will provide 72 glasses.
- Depending on the season you may find that your guests drink more of one type of wine than another. If the Wedding is to be held in the hot Summer months then your guests may drink more White Wine than Red and vice versa if you are having a Winter Wedding.
- As a rough guide, assume each guest will consume about half a bottle of wine. Caterers generally agree that half a bottle of wine per head is enough for a lunchtime venue, while three quarters of a bottle per head covers an evening meal. However it’s better to have too much rather than too little.
If the Wedding is at a hired venue such as a Hotel or Restaurant it’s worth enquiring what their Corkage is should you want to have your own choice of wines at the Wedding. A Corkage fee is charged by the venue to patrons for opening and serving wines that they have not provided in-house. Corkage fees vary widely and can often be negotiable.
JG: Nick, Thank you so much for all your help with our wedding wines – you matched them perfectly to our food. They were absolutely delicious and we had so many compliments!
Giles, Twickenham: Thank you Nick for supplying the wine for our recent wedding, your recommendations for the reception, toasting and for each course were fantastic. We received many positive comments from our guests as to how nice the bubbles, the white and red wine were, plus how they accompanied the food so well. I am sure we will be in touch soon to explore more of your range and recommendations.
JF: Just a quick note to say how much I appreciated your help in selecting the wines for my daughter’s wedding.
We had a cosmopolitan guest list, many from Europe and therefore not an easy audience to please when it comes to affairs of the dining table. As the paying bride’s father I wanted the reception to be right for my daughter on her big day. The caterers did a fine job with the food and your wine selection complemented the menu superbly.
I received many compliments for the wine which I took very gracefully. Particularly so from my Italian relative who is not normally a red wine drinker! She thought the Chateau Pessan was lovely with the Guinea Fowl and may have drank more than her fair share. The Chateau Mayne Pargade really brought out the best in the Salmon starter and now is very much a favourite with my wife.
The Champagne was adored by everyone and may have been adored too much by some. My new son in law Graham will be writing to you separately as he was over the moon how well it all went down. My daughter not only looked radiant on the day but was so pleased her guests had such a good time her memory of the day will live with her forever.
You may have played a small part to the overall day but it left a very big impression on our guests for which I would like to thank you.
CC from Scotland: I am arranging my daughter’s wedding and Bordeaux Undiscovered have been a brilliant find for me. They have paired the wines beautifully for the wedding breakfast as well has being very patient and supportive with me through this stressful time. We have opted for the Cremant d’Alsace Brut for the toast after conducting a blind tasting with a number of my friends who unanimously voted for it when it was tasted alongside champagne, processco, sparkling wine and cava. Thanks BU you have been a brick!
Ben T from Worcester: We approached Bordeaux Undiscovered to supply wine for our wedding and the entire process from start to finish was fantastic. Nick was warm and welcoming and his attention to detail was excellent; he recommended a beautiful selection of wines to complement our menu. Many of our guests commented on the quality of the wine and it made such a difference to be able to provide something which far exceeded what was attainable elsewhere at our price-point. In an environment where customer service is in such decline, it was refreshing to deal with a company that places it at the forefront of its operations. We will definitely be in touch with further business soon!
Jon Harper, Wedding Photographer – Cotswolds & Cheltenham Wedding Photographer – specialising in the Cheltenham and Cotswold area but also covering Bristol, Bath, The South West and the rest of the world too!
Kemp and Kemp Catering – Voted ‘Wedding Caterer of The Year’ for 2014 and 2015 for the West Midlands, in the National Wedding Industry Awards.
A fantastic service covering Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, The West Midlands, Northamptonshire . . . and beyond!